Saturday, May 18, 2019

But I Always Felt I Was

I wasn't around when the Beatles met
I wasn't around when the Beatles made their first record
I wasn't around when the Beatles first landed in the United States
I wasn't around when the Beatles made their first movie
I wasn't around when the Beatles performed their last concert
I wasn't around when the Beatles broke up
But I always felt I was


I wasn't around when John Lennon died
I was born nearly a year later
I have mixed feelings about that
Half is glad, because I didn't get to feel the raw pain
Half is sad, because I wasn't around during his lifetime
But I always felt I was


When December 8 comes around
my house grows gloomy
my mom remembers
the anniversary of his tragic death
she has this sadness in her
the radio is filled with his music
I sing along
the TV is filled with footage of his life
I watched
but then, I feel the same sadness that my mom feels
I started to cry
because the pain is that strong


Then November 29 comes around
it felt like a normal day
but something is missing
then I found out why
the next day, it was announced
George Harrison died
It was during the aftermath of September 11th
it was the only day that no one spoke about a war
instead it was quiet with only music playing
realizing that there are only two left


I never felt so empty
I never met them
yet I always felt that they were a part of my family
I grew up listening to them since birth
I spent most of my life learning about their lives
I managed to see Ringo Starr in concert twice*
I fought my way to see Paul McCartney in concert
despite my life's schedule
but I would do anything to see one in concert


Now, I still feel that empty pain
Every time I see a movie or listen to a song
it's there and it won't go away
But then again, the Beatles could never leave
there may be only two left with us
but there will always be the Fab Four among us
Forever


Written in 2002
*update: I have seen Ringo Starr now 4 times and also Paul McCartney 4 times. Other than that, nothing else has changed. Still all valid.

1 comment:

  1. I feel very privileged to have grown up with The Beatles , even though, I was still just a kid. But, I can always remember my older brothers and sister playing their songs and then there was the radio. Even my dear old mother would sing along with radio, and then of course, there's the classic song, Your Mother Should Know, which I really loved and still love. I also like Fool On The Hill. Apart from the actual track Yellow Submarine, this is a fantastic album, with great psychedelic stuff like Northern Song, It's All Too Much, Blue Jay Way and much more. I think that The Beatles got better, much better as they matured. I'm quite sure that they could have gone on to create so much more very creative albums. The White Album, (The Beatles), as is the real title has got some absolutely beautiful tracks on it, like Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, and Ringo's Don't Pass Me By . An absolute favourite track of mine is Long, Long, Long, it's perfection, so beautifully produced, I don't quite know what instruments are used, but it's so underrated, Ringo's drumming takes a lot of credit and George's voice is sheer blissful, anyone agree ?

    ReplyDelete