Saturday, May 18, 2019

Running Against the Rain

A feeling grew inside of her
she grabbed my hand for support
So we ran outside to hide
a strange look on his face
Running down on the damp cement
across the rocky street
a shoe flew across the field
Rain poured down like sharp needles
the moon disappeared behind the clouds
no light was shown anywhere
Thunder pounded against the dark sky
lightning got closer and closer
No shelter was around to protect us
his steps grew louder and louder
we continued to run, fast
She tripped down the rock
tears, water, and blood dripped down
from her fact to her princess gown
I didn't know what to do
leaves caught in my hair
she wanted to bury herself
He approached us, slowly and carefully
She was scared
Suddenly, he put his arms around her
she put her limp body on him
I watched, crying
he whispered in her ear
she was holding him tight
The rain poured down their drenched clothes
I left, leaving them alone
I looked back
they were kissing on the wet grass
I walked across the field
back towards the house
My princess gown was in ruins
my curls were in knots
my shoes were lost somewhere in the wind
but I was happy
after I got into the house to join the party
I looked out of the window
they were still there
holding each other with a passion
the moment was unforgettable
feeling so real
I sat down on the sofa, wet
mesmerized by the scenery
The rain grew stronger by the minute
thunder and lightning were bolted around
the party was panicking and pacing
I ignored them, looking at my dear friend
who was once frighten of her boyfriend
but now, she is all right
finally returning to her engagement party
that has always been her dream


Originally written in 1999, got reworked done in 2002.
I must have been reading too many romance novels or something at the time? Heavily influenced by Stevie Nicks and I was trying to write a romance novel in poem form.

No comments:

Post a Comment